June 27, 2008

The Burning Hole in my Stash

I have to say, normally I'm able to control my startitis. In quilting, the one part I really dislike is "sandwiching" the quilts - lining up the quilt top, the batting, and the backing - then basting. I'm not sure why this is my least-favorite part but it is. I usually complete 3 or 4 tops and then spend a day sandwiching them all to quilt. That way I have several different projects in play if I want to do different quilting. Sometimes it takes awhile to figure out how to quilt it, sometimes I know before I even assemble the top.

My guidelines for knitting are similar to my quilting and are to finish something before I start something else, having 4-5 projects in process. Lately, there's been a lot of starting and no finishing whatsoever. I could probably blame it on the Sea Socks 08 cruise we went on, but I think I really just want to play with all the new yarns I bought. So, the heavier things, sweaters and such, have been relegated to the "on hold" status until fall rolls around. Maybe that will give me enough time to wrap up 3 or 4 of the smaller projects I'm currently working on, if I don't start any more (yeah, right). It seems like a couple of the current projects have been "troubled" and have had to be frogged almost completely back to nothing. I really just love re-knitting things because I did something stupid in the 3rd row and didn't catch it until 2 skeins later. NOT. So, new practice is to lifeline at each repeat and check my work. So far, so good. This is a habit I'd like to keep...practice makes perfect and also helps with some of the frustration.

No comments: